Where is Fiumicino Airport located?
Rome Fiumicino (FCO) is situated in the city of Fiumicino, it is close to the Tyrean Sea. The airport is located in the west side of the city and is well-coonected by the A91 Rome-Fiumicino highway. It has four terminals in total:
- Terminal 1 (Alitalia, KLM)
- Terminal 2
- Terminal 3 (Transavia, Brussels Airlines)
- Terminal 5
Low-cost airline companies fly at another terminal.
What is the distance from Rome Fiumicino to Rome City Centre?
The distance is 30 kilometers, so by car this equals to about 40 minutes by car/taxi.
How to travel from Fiumicino to Rome Centre?
We list first the cheapest options to travel from Rome Fiumicino Airport to the City Centre of Rome itself.
1. Public Transportation: Train + Metro
The regional train FL1 offers a frequent service between Rome Fiumiciuno Airport and the City, but has no direct connection with the central station (Roma Termini). FL1 rides every 15 minutes to the biggest train station in the South of Rome. To reach the City centre, you can choose to take the Rome Ostiense train (32 minutes). You then take the metro (Piramide) to the stop Roma Termini, which takes approximately 7 minutes.
- Train ticket: 8 EUR for one-way per person (buy it at the airport; a ticket machine)
- Metro tricket: 1,5 EUR for one-way, or 7 EUR for 24 hours, 12,5 EUR for 48 hours and so on
Total price: 9,5 EUR
2. Public Transportation: Train only
If you prefer to take a direct train, you want to opt for the Leonardo Express. This service is offered 7/7. The total travel time is 32 minutes; the train leaves every 15 to 30 minutes directly to Roma Termini.
- Train ticket: buy from Trenitalia website or at the train station (1 EUR extra)
Total price: 14 EUR
3. Public Transportation: Bus
The bus (via Terravision) takes about 55 minutes to the City Centre from the airport. It leaves from Terminal 3 (stop nr. 5) and leaves about every 45 minutes.
- One-way: 5 EUR online or 6 EUR at the station
- Retour: 9 EUR online or 10 EUR at the station
Total price: 5 EUR
The most expensive, however easiest, way is to book a taxi. You have many different companies offering such services, including Rynair or independent taxi companies, both operating internationally or locally.
- Book your taxi in advance. This way, you avoid that you pay an unexpectedly higher amount than anticipated. Around 50 EUR would be a fair price, everything over 75 EUR would be too expensive from my experience.
Total price: 50 EUR (or higher)
|Option #||Travel type||Duration of the trip||Total average cost|
|Option 1||Train + metro||39 minutes||9,5 EUR|
|Option 2||Train||32 minutes||14 EUR|
|Option 3||Bus||55 minutes||5 EUR|
|Option 4||Taxi||40 minutes||50 EUR|