‘Unlocking’ the USB dongle
- If you are using a Mobistar dongle, read this first. If not, you can skip this step.
Mobistar dongles are unlocked by default if you purchased it recently. If not, try to look for a software update. You should find the word ‘APN’ somewhere in the settings window. When found, enter ‘web.be’ as APN, ‘web’ as username and ‘web’ as password (without the quotes, please). If you can’t find the settings window with APN settings, proceed to step 2.
- First of all, install the USB dongle as you are used to: connect it to your device (PC or Mac), install the branded software, and follow the on-screen steps. After installation, disconnect the dongle. Don’t try to enter your PIN code. On OSX, delete the provider software. On Windows: keep it installed.
- When the branded software has been installed and you disconnected your dongle, please install Mobile Partner. Mobile Partner is the software which has been modified for Vodafone, Mobistar, and other Mobile Operators around the world. You can find Mobile Partner here for Windows and here for OSX.
- Complete all installation steps. Before connecting your USB dongle, please make sure your branded software is completely exited. Close the windows and make sure the tray icon on Windows(bottom right) is gone, too.
- When Mobile Partner has been installed, reboot your PC or Mac. This step is crucial. Also, on Windows, make sure your branded software does not run on reboot. To do that, open the ‘run’ window and enter ‘msconfig’ on Windows XP or older. On Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, just enter it in the search-area and press enter. A new window will open. Open up the ‘Startup’ tab and uncheck anything provider related.
- Now, the tricky part. Configuring Mobile Partner. First, run Mobile Partner and wait for the device to be connected and enter your pin code. For Mobile Vikings, the default pin code is 1111, unless you’ve already changed it, that is. then, follow the instructions on the screenshots. They are the same on OSX and Windows, but I only made screenshots on Windows.
Configuring Mobile Partner for Mobile Vikings
- Step 1: Open the settings window in the Tools->Options tab.
- Step 2: Click “Profile Management” at the left. There’s a button ‘New’ on the right. Click it.
- Step 3: Enter the login credentials as provided on the screenshot. Make sure APN is ‘static’, filled in with ‘web.be’ and username and password are both ‘web’. You can name the profile anything you want, I named it ‘Mobile Vikings’ (I know, I’m very original!). Click ‘Save’.
- Step 4: When done, it should look like this. Click ‘OK’.
- ‘Mobile Vikings’ should now be available on the list of profiles. Click ‘Connect’ and enjoy Mobile Vikings on your computer on the go!
Warning: all screenshots I made were made with the dongle disconnected as I can’t find mine anymore. You should not see the icon with red cross on your monitor, and the signal strength indicator should give you E or HSDPA/3G together with ‘Mobile Vikings’. If this is not the case, try to reconnect the dongle while the software is running or contact me.
Thanks to Bram for sending me a copy of the tutorial! All credit for this tutorial goes to him. You can follow him on Twitter (@bramvandeperre) or on Facebook. Please do check out his other Mobile Vikings projects on mv.b12e.be.